Strokes are among the most common health-related challenges seniors face. If you provide in-home stroke care in Placer County for an elderly parent or loved one, it is important to help them reduce their stroke risk in any way possible. One easy thing seniors can do to help their heart health is to eat salmon on a regular basis. Recent research shows salmon can lower the risk of having a stroke by an amazing 20 percent.
Benefits of Salmon
The benefits of eating salmon regularly extend far and wide. Salmon is rich in protein called calcitonin, which lowers blood pressure and helps improve bone strength and density. It also contains omega-3 fatty acids, which are excellent for heart health and brain functioning, as well as vitamin B, vitamin D, selenium, iron, niacin, and zinc.
How to Prepare Salmon
There are all sorts of tasty and inventive ways to serve salmon. Even seniors who aren’t too keen on fish will find a recipe they enjoy eating once or twice during the week. If your senior loved one is picky, try this delicious recipe for grilled salmon with a side of avocado dip:
- Preheat your outdoor grill.
- Use a moderately sized bowl and mix together a container of yogurt, a bulb of garlic, squeeze of lemon juice, a dash of slat and pepper, and an avocado (you can adjust the proportions to taste). Set aside.
- Rub a bit of olive oil, dill, and lemon pepper on the salmon.
- Place the salmon on the grill and cook for approximately fifteen minutes. Turn it over once, about halfway through cooking, to ensure all sides are fully cooked. You can also bake or broil the salmon if grilling isn’t an option.
- Serve it with the avocado dip and enjoy!
Want to learn more about senior stroke prevention or find a Placer County caregiver who can promote your senior loved one’s health and wellbeing through a heart-healthy diet and regular physical activity? Reach out to Home Care Assistance, a leading provider of senior care in Placer County, at (916) 226-3737. Our friendly Care Manager can schedule a free in-home consultation and tell you more about the services available in your area.